Old Tampa, Florida Artwork by Alfred J. Bowman

Alfred J. Bowman, Flamingo and Chick, Tampa, circa, 1950. Oil on board, 13 ¼ by 22 ½ inches.

 

Alfred Bowman was an infant when, in 1893, his family immigrated to the United States from France. In 1925, after study and work in Philadelphia, New York, Chicago and San Francisco, Bowman moved to Tampa. In Tampa he opened a commercial art studio on Granada and worked there for the next thirty years. In 1950 Bowman moved his home to Lutz but continued his commercial art work in Tampa. He exhibited regularly with the Tampa Realistic Artists, and at the Florida State Fair, until, as he said, “It went abstract.”

Born: June 11, 1892, Alsace-Lorraine, France.
Died: November 20, 1963, Tampa.
Membership: Tampa Art Institute; Tampa Realistic Artists.
Exhibits: Federal Art Project, Art League of Manatee County, National Art Week, November 1937; Florida International Art Exhibition, Florida Southern College, Lakeland, March 1952; Tampa Art Institute, May 1952, Member’s Show, watercolors; Tampa Realist Artists, April 1956 Monarch of the Range.; Lakeland, Grumbacher Award, Shrimp Fleet; Tampa Realistic Artists, Fall Annual, September 1957, painting proposed for Hillsborough County Court House, Shrimp Fleet; Community Center of Lutz, first one man show, May 1959; Paul Dorfmuller Studio, Tampa, December 1959. Bowman is buried in Saint Anthony Cemetery, San Antonio, Pasco County, Florida.
Directory: Listed in the Tampa City Directory as an artist or commercial artist with a studio at 3007 Granada in 1928, 1932, 1944 and 1950 to 1958.

filed under: Uncategorized
Artist 26 of 123