Panos Booziotes came to the United States in 1914 from Greece to join his family living in Chicago. After several years at the Art Institute of Chicago, Booziotes began working in Grand Rapids, Michigan, painting floral designs on furniture. In Michigan he was known for his landscapes, portraits, and pencil sketches of nudes. Booziotes moved to Florida in 1922 to teach in the art department at Rollins College with Harry Fluhart and Lucretia Halstead. He later joined the art staff of the Orlando Pottery decorating pottery. Booziotes moved to Miami in 1938 as a member of the teaching staff at the Terry Institute of Fine Arts, working there into the late 1940’s. In 1948 he had a studio at 3041 Grand Avenue, Coconut Grove. Booziotes obituary in the Miami Daily News, December, 16, 1950, noted simply: “Mr. Booziotes, a resident since 1938, had exhibited prize winning pictures in the Miami Beach gallery and Miami Woman’s club and was to have been awarded a Blue Dome Fellowship. Greek born, he was a naturalized American citizen and a member of Ahepa.”
Born: August 10, 1888, Nemea, Corinth, Greece.
Died: December 11, 1950, Coral Gables.
Education: Wesleyan College, Bloomington, Illinois; Art Institute of Chicago, 1917 to 1922; with Charles Hawthorne in Provincetown.
Membership: Florida Federation of Art; Blue Dome Fellowship; Gables Grove Artists.
Exhibits: Terry Art Gallery, 2100 West Flagler, November 1945; Terry Art Gallery, 2100 West Flagler, November 1946, all Florida subjects.
Directory: Listed in the Miami City Directory, 1944 to 1946 as a portrait artist with a studio at 140 N.E. 1st Avenue, R 214 and later, 1947 to 1949, at 3041 Grand Avenue, R4, Coral Gables.